Saturday, April 24, 2010

Goals

So, I haven't gotten behind the torch in a while. I still haven't been able to get my last batch of beads off of the mandrels. I need one of those rubber jar gripper thingies, but I don't know where to find one.

I've been checking out jewelry making books from the library and have realized that there are a lot of techniques I need to work on.  I didn't even know how to do a basic wire wrap on a bead.  I'm going to check out some more books, and hopefully learn some more advanced wire work.

My goals:
  1. Work on making basic round beads (need to forget about surface enrichment until I get the basics down)
  2. (Optional) Buy etching solution and etch basic beads
  3. Read up more on wire jewelry making techniques and practice
  4. Buy silver wire and findings
  5. Make a bracelet like the one below:
Image from Cindy Jenkins' Making Glass Beads (page 35)
Jewelry by Donna Sauers, Photo by Evan Bracken

Another fairly simple bead idea, that might be a good one to start with is clear glass over copper tubes, although it is listed as an intermediate technique. I really can't seem to help jumping ahead of myself. 

Image also from Cindy Jenkins' Making Glass Beads (page 76)
Beads by Mary Klotz, Photo by Evan Bracken
Cut off text lists bead size as "1.2 x .5 cm"

No comments:

Post a Comment