Sunday, January 10, 2010

Getting Started

I had thought about making glass beads before, and even looked for equipment on amazon.com, but hadn't really understood what went into making beads. Later, one of my chemistry professors had his scientific glassblower friend come in and teach us a thing or two. I asked the glassblower about making beads and he tried to explain it to me, but I'm pretty sure I gave him the bewildered look I make when trying to wrap head around something for the first time.

Here is a pendant and fish I made during the scientific glassblower's visit to my college campus.

But this year, I decided it was time to do it and asked for beadmaking supplies for Christmas. My previous experience was with a dual fuel torch and, likely, borosilicate glass, but for now I'm going to start with a single fuel hot head torch (hence the name of the blog) and soft glass.

So what did I need to get to started? Here is what I got for Christmas:

Ebay.com seller Rocky Mountain Glass Crafts (I'm not going to link the individual items since Ebay listings change)
- Hot Head Glass Beadmaking Torch Lampworking Starter Kit
- "Mastering the Glass Bead" DVD

Amazon.com
- The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking by Kimberly Adams
- Making Glass Beads by Cindy Jenkins
- More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking by James Kervin
- Passing the Flame: A Beadmaker's Guide to Detail and Design by Corina Tettinger
- Safety glasses: Ace (Didymium) Glass Working Spectacles

Delphiglass.com

- Wheeled glass nippers
- Tweezer set
- Mini masher pliers
- Glass rod assortments in "blues and greens" & "wild sorbet"

I picked up a can of MAPP gas and a 3 in. C-clamp from Lowes. I also picked up a graphite paddle from a local stained glass store, D&L Stained Glass. There is a tons more that I want (see my amazon wishlist), but this should do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment